Protect and Maintain Your Stunning Smile With Dr. Kreisheh
Your smile says a lot about you, so keeping your teeth and gums healthy should be a top priority. That’s why regular dental exams and cleanings are so important. At Charm City Smiles in Lutherville, MD, our experienced Baltimore dentist and hygienists provide comprehensive dental care to help you maintain your oral health. Led by Dr. George Kreisheh, our team takes the time to evaluate your unique needs and provide personalized treatment recommendations.
Call (410) 913-5700 today to schedule your dental exam and cleaning with Dr. Kreisheh and his team. We’re here to protect your smile and help you feel confident in your oral health!
The Importance of Dental Exams and Cleanings
Most dentists, including Lutherville dentist Dr. Kreisheh, recommend visiting your dentist at least once every six months for an exam and professional teeth cleaning. More frequent visits may be necessary, depending on your risk factors.
Why are regular dental exams and cleanings so crucial? Here are some key reasons:
- Early detection of cavities and other oral health problems
- Removal of plaque and tartar buildup
- Identification of gum disease in early stages
- Evaluation of your risk for tooth decay and gum disease
- Oral cancer screening
- Assessment of restorations (fillings, crowns, etc.)
During your general dentistry exam, Dr. Kreisheh will check your teeth and gums for signs of disease, examine your mouth, head, and neck for abnormalities, and evaluate the health of existing dental work. X-rays and other diagnostic tools may be used. Your cleaning will involve scaling and polishing your teeth to remove plaque, tartar, and stains that can trap bacteria.
What to Expect During Your Dental Exam and Cleaning
Comprehensive Dental Exam
- Review of Medical and Dental History: Dr. Kreisheh will discuss any health developments since your last visit. Be sure to disclose any new medications.
- Oral Cancer Screening: This quick exam can detect early signs of oral cancer.
- Gum Health Assessment: Unhealthy gums may indicate periodontal disease. Dr. Kreisheh will check for periodontal pockets, gum recession, and more.
- Tooth Examination: Dr. Kreisheh will examine your teeth for cavities, cracks, wear patterns, and underlying health of tooth structure and nerves.
- Bite Evaluation: Checks alignment of upper and lower teeth.
- Oral Hygiene Assessment: How well are you cleaning your teeth? Plaque and tartar levels will be evaluated.
- X-rays: Dental X-rays allow Dr. Kreisheh to detect cavities, check bone levels, examine root structures, and more.
- Treatment Plan: Dr. Kreisheh will review exam findings and make recommendations for needed dental work.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Your hygienist will work to remove plaque, tartar, and stains from your teeth to help prevent cavities, gum disease, bad breath, and other oral health problems.
- Plaque Removal: Plaque contains bacteria that cause tooth decay and gum disease. Our hygienists will perform scaling to remove plaque above and below the gumline.
- Tartar Removal: Hardened plaque (tartar) traps more bacteria. Your teeth will be polished to smooth surfaces.
- Tooth Polishing: The polishing process finishes your cleaning, leaving teeth stain-free and extra smooth.
- Fluoride Treatment: We may use a fluoride gel or foam to help strengthen enamel and prevent cavities.
- Oral Hygiene Instructions: Your hygienist will demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques.
- Schedule Next Visit: Our team usually schedules routine cleanings every six months, depending on your oral health status and individual risk factors.
Our Lutherville Dentist’s At-Home Dental Care Tips
To get the most from your professional cleanings and exams, be sure to maintain good oral hygiene at home:
- Brush thoroughly twice a day using the proper technique. Invest in a soft-bristle toothbrush. Make gentle circles covering all surfaces.
- Floss daily to access tight spaces between teeth. Improper flossing can cause gum damage. Ask us for guidance.
- Use antimicrobial mouthwash to reduce bacteria between cleanings. Choose an alcohol-free formula if you have sensitive teeth.
- Watch your diet. Limit sugary and acidic foods/drinks which erode tooth enamel.
- Quit tobacco habits like smoking, which stain teeth and promote oral cancer.
- Drink water throughout the day to neutralize acids and support saliva flow.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months when bristles become frayed.
- Consider a water flosser for optimal gum stimulation and plaque removal.
With diligent home care and professional cleanings every six months, you can minimize your cavity risk and improve gum health.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s ideal to arrive for your appointment early so you won’t feel rushed. Brush and floss your teeth beforehand. Unless directed otherwise, continue taking any medications prescribed by your physician as normal.
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends children see a dentist by age one or within six months of their first tooth erupting. Starting dental exams and cleanings early allows your dentist to evaluate oral development, prevent problems through early intervention, and get your child comfortable with dental visits.
No, dentists generally recommend waiting at least 30 minutes to eat after cleaning, especially after getting a fluoride treatment. You should also avoid sticky, crunchy, or hard foods for the rest of the day. Your freshly scaled teeth have smoother surfaces that are temporarily sensitive, so foods that stick or require heavy chewing could cause discomfort.
Plan for your first cleaning appointment to last up to 90 minutes from start to finish. This allows ample time for examination procedures, digital imaging if needed, and a thorough teeth cleaning. Now that your dentist has your baseline dental records, future cleanings may take less time.
Schedule Your Dental Exam and Cleaning at Charm City Smiles Today
Don’t delay routine dental exams and professional cleanings at Charm City Smiles. Preventive care is the key to avoiding extensive, costly dental treatment down the road. Our skilled team provides thorough, gentle, personalized care to give you the healthy, attractive smile you deserve.
Contact us online or call (410) 913-5700 to schedule an appointment at our Lutherville, MD, dental office. New patients are always welcome from the areas around Lutherville, including Timonium, Cockeysville, and Hampton, MD!